Take action now to save Darfur

Sunday, February 26, 2006

Corruption, Torture, and Terrorists...Oh My!

I'm no movie critic...at least not professionally. I don't get paid for it that's for sure. So my opinion is free. Take it for what it's worth!

I know it's been in theaters since December, and thought hubby and I would be the only two people in the audience; although, it was a surprisingly full-ish house...and we had to go into Hollywood where it was playing, but I finally got the chance to see Syriana last night! WOW! If you haven't seen this, you should, and wear your thinking caps because it is a complicated and intricately woven plot. If you blink, cough, or sneeze, you'll miss crucial points. I must have blinked or chewed my popcorn too loudly because there were a couple of things that I felt were unexplained and I can't say for sure that they weren't explained....I need to get the book.

My husband and I discussed it on the ride home, both of us clueing the other into the elements we had questions about, our conversation going something like this:

"Why did he....?"
"Don't you remember the thing with the thing and a thing earlier? That was his motivation."
"Ahhhhh.... oh, yeah."
"But what about what's his name? Why was he important?"
"What?? Without his involvement there would have been no investigation. That was the basis for the corruption and subsequent......"
"Ohhhh...yeah, you're right."

We both agreed that we'd like to read the book, "See No Evil" by Bob Baer...but what we both really want is the movie version, Syriana, but we have to wait for that one.

I thought the movie was excellent, well written, superbly directed, with phenomenal performances by the entire cast. The torture scene with George Clooney is H-A-R-D to watch! For those with weak constitutions, consider yourselves forewarned!

Kudos to Section 8 Productions (Clooney and Steven Soderbergh) for producing movies that subtly prod society into thinking about the events that shape the world around us.

1 Comments:

Blogger Tootsie Farklepants said...

From the interviews I've seen him give, it is his point to make movies that cause one to think and discuss. He doesn't want to stand up and shout "think this way!!".

3:31 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home