Take action now to save Darfur

Saturday, March 11, 2006

Progress?

Holy time warp Batman! It's the 1950's! South Dakota, Mississippi, Ohio, Indiana, Georgia, Kentucky, and Tennessee, respectively, are proposing and/or passing laws that ban abortion. Rumor has it that SD also has a bill in the works to ban contraception. Christian pharmacists nationwide are refusing to dispense prescription contraceptives. Missouri has a bill pending in the state legislature that would recognize Christianity as the official state religion. Intelligent Design on the verge of being taught in our schools. Censorship is alive and well; just ask our soldier's which websites and blogs they are permitted to access (hint: it's not Air America, Wonkette, or Al Frankin). We're being conditioned to believe that there is a communist...oh hold on, excuse me...terrorist under our bed and in our closet. Fox News crucifies anyone (mostly liberals but they aren't opposed to eating their own young), publicly, and persistently if they do not toe the party line. All under the pretense of 'fair and balanced' "news". It's no House Committee on Un-American Activities, but it smells like McCarthyism.

And that's just the short list! Oh man! How do I break it to my mother and her generation? Thanks ladies for your strides and sacrifices that blew the doors of opportunity open for us, your daughters...quit humming the tune 'We're gonna make it on our own' and throwing your hat's in the air ala Mary Tyler Moore, and just ignore that smoldering bra in your hope chest because you got PUNKED!

What's a modern Gen X gal like myself to do? How do I shed my feminism and conform to a prehistoric ideal that is foreign to me? I could hold a seance for all my thirtysomething girlfriends. Perhaps if we whip out the ol' Ouija board and channel June Cleaver, Lucille Ball, and Harriet Nelson they can share their wisdom of survival with us, in such a 'by-golly-gee-wiz' sort of way, why, you'll think I'm Doris Day in no time!

Yeah. Yeah! And the men could all wear hats again! Ooh! Oooooh! And smoke all the time! Yay! Oh gosh...and just think of all of the hours I can spend at the beauty parlor, deciding between a permanent or a finger wave (since they were sans hairdryer) gossiping with the gals while we get glamified for our men! Oh joy! This just keeps getting better! Just think of all of the free time I'll have to learn new recipies and how to get stains out of darn near everything since my husband will be doing all of the thinking about important things for me! And we'll all get a lot more sleep since we'll only be having sex for procreation and not recreation.

NOT! Quit messing with my freedoms, my civil liberties, and for God's sake don't confiscate my hairdryer! When you mess with my hair, it's on!


Missouri Resolution 13 Link


Daily Kos


States Propose Abortion Ban

1 Comments:

Blogger Tootsie Farklepants said...

Yes, I imagine the tax payers will foot the bill for the care of the unwanted children.

Honestly, if you're a woman in todays political/culture climate and you AREN'T outraged...then you aren't paying attention.

3:31 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home