Take action now to save Darfur

Saturday, April 01, 2006

Laziness Is Not A Handicap

Legislation is being proposed in some states, including Georgia and New Jersey, that would distribute temporary handicapped parking permits for pregnant women. Now, I'm not opposed to providing designated parking spots located closer to the entrance in particularly large parking lots, for pregnant women, but handicapped permits? That would mean that the woman could park in any handicapped parking spot, anywhere, no matter the size of the lot. Pregnancy is not a handicap. A pregnant woman is not handicapped. She may have trouble skiing, surfing, or even jogging during her late third trimester, but she isn't handicapped. She may not get around as quickly, and she may have to stop to catch her breath occassionaly, but she isn't handicapped.

Although, I did use the handicapped stall in the ladies room on occasion during my pregnancies. If you've ever tried to cram your 9 months of pregnancy self into one of those size 4 stalls, you'll understand. I found myself leaning as far back as possible trying to close the door past my enormous girth of pregnant belly, only to find myself unable to do so. My body fit, my belly did not. It was quite hilarious...you had to be there.

I'm appalled that pregnancy would be used to diminish the strength of women in an attempt to take advantage of the system to score a sweet parking spot. There are enough people out there unfortunate enough to really need those permits.

The kind of women who would take advantage of this are the same (non-pregnant) type of people who use the carry out service at the local grocery store. For those who aren't aware, this is where the box person pushes your cart to your car and unloads your goods for you, thus eliminating a much needed component (for those still inside the store) of the assembly line that expedites your grocery purchasing experience, leaving you to bag your own groceries, while trying to pay for them simoultaneously. Not really a big deal but it does irritate the ever loving crap out of me when obviously capable people are too lazy to push their own cart of groceries to their own car, their ownselves. Lord, don't get me started on that tangent!

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have to admit I like the "expectant parking" at the baby store, but handicap?!! Come on!
During normal/healthy pregnancies wpmen are completely capable of walking from the car to the store. I agree that there are some situations when women have a extra health problems during pregnancy but this is not a handicap.

7:59 AM  
Blogger Tootsie Farklepants said...

Obviously, I agree with you. Thanks for stopping in!

8:59 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home