Take action now to save Darfur

Friday, April 07, 2006

Memory Lane

Over the next few days the conservative media will be spinning this leak story like a child's top. So when you hear someone parrot the spin that the President was well within his rights to declassify information, ask that person what Bush meant by the following statements:
"Let me just say something about leaks in Washington. There are too many leaks of classified information in Washington. And if there is a leak out of my administration, I want to know who it is. And if the person has violated law, the person will be taken care of... I want to know the truth. If anybody has got any information inside our administration or outside our administration, it would be helpful if they came forward with the information so we can find out whether or not these allegations are true and get on about the business." ~ George W Bush, September 30, 2003

"I think I made that very clear last week. The topic came up, and I said that if anyone in this administration was responsible for the leaking of classified information, they would no longer work in this administration. This is a very serious matter. The President made it very clear just a short time ago in the East Room, and he has always said that leaking of classified information is a serious matter. And that's why he wants to get to the bottom of this. And the sooner we get to the bottom of it, the better." ~ Scott McClellan, White House Press Briefing 10/6/03

"And, you know, there's a lot of leaking in Washington, D.C. It's a town famous for it. And if this helps stop leaks of -- this investigation in finding the truth, it will not only hold someone to account who should not have leaked -- and this is a serious charge, by the way. We're talking about a criminal action, but also hopefully will help set a clear signal we expect other leaks to stop, as well. And so I look forward to finding the truth." ~ GW Bush, October 2003

“It's best people wait until the investigation is complete before you jump to conclusions. I don't know all the facts. I want to know all the facts. I would like this to end as quickly as possible. If someone committed a crime, they will no longer work in my administration." ~ GW Bush, July 2005

Seems rather silly to take such a stance if there was no wrongdoing, don't you think?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home