Take action now to save Darfur

Monday, May 29, 2006

Bringing News From the Front

I was stunned today when my husband looked up from his laptop and informed me that 74 reporters have lost their lives since the start of the Iraq war (I refuse to call it the war on terror). So I did a little digging around on the net myself and found that 96 journalists and media assistants have been killed since March, 2003. My God! From what I could find, 63 journalists died during the Vietnam war.

So the next time you hear someone from this administration try to blame your lack of support for this war on your being too informed by what you see on TV, such as this quote from Bush:
" 'No question that the Iraq war has, you know, created a sense of consternation here in America,' Bush said. 'I mean, when you turn on your TV screen and see innocent people die day in and day out, it affects the mentality of our country.' He added: 'I can understand why the American people are troubled by the war in Iraq. I understand that. But I also believe the sacrifice is worth it and it's necessary.' "

Remember that journalists are dying, literally, to bring you the news.

96 journalists and media assistants killed

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was surprised to learn this too. From American television journalists to the beheading of the well-liked female Iraqi journalist Atwar Bahjat, Iraq has become very dangerous for reporters.

Isn't it ironic when conservatives on the air decry the 'biased' liberal media for 'rooting for American's defeat in Iraq' when those same journalists have to don flack jackets and helmets in order to bring us news from the ground?

For all their supposed patriotism, the conservative loud mouths sure aren't going to host a show or two from Ramadi or Mosul anytime soon.

7:57 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home