Take action now to save Darfur

Friday, May 19, 2006

It's the Difference That Divides Us

I imagine, when you get right down to it, everyone, right-wingers and lefties alike, want the same end result for our country. Mainly freedom, democracy, an in-tact Constitution, guaranteed rights, safety for our citizens and for those of other nations, a booming economy, respect throughout the world, a balanced budget, etc. We just have different ideas about how to acheive that goal. Liberals believe it should be done within the law, through diplomacy, and perhaps changing our current practice of foreign policy. While right-wingers believe it is just hunky dory to achieve these goals by skirting the law, dismantling the Constitution, encroachment on our rights, and screaming quite loudly and wielding a big, honkin' stick.

The road to corporate fascism is paved with bad intentions. We've become a nation that engages in the very practices that we claim to abhor; such as allowing torture of suspected enemies, giving up freedom for freedom's sake, foresaking law in the name of national security, and nation building (there's more, I'm short on time).

Perhaps I'm wrong. Maybe that is what right-wingers want afterall. That could be why they are so determined to villify liberals, who only want our country and government to return to its recognizable form. One that we can be proud of. One that is respected and admired. One that follows the rule of law. We've become a bully nation and frankly, no one respects a bully. Do you really believe that the ends justifies the means?

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

No. I believe this Nation is in for a rude awakening.

8:46 AM  
Blogger Just Wondering said...

I'm 44 years old and I am happy to say that I have had my share of Conservative friends in my life; one of my Republican roommates and I used to have great discussions and we knew when to leave it alone. Other members of my family and I have our political differences. I firmly believe that our goals are the same. Back in the day, though, the differences in how we thought we could achieve those goals were not so stark. Most of the people I know who are on the other side of the political line from me believe in the rule of law, but have a different idea about the role of government in achieiving our common goals. What I think has changed is that the current conservative leadership doesn't have the same goals in mind anymore. Their goals seem to revolve around a perpetuation of power and the domination of one party. I've said it before and I'll say it again: what I wouldn't give for a regular Republican right now. Anyway ... my two cents.

10:46 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

(just wondering...)
Spoken like a true Republican. Talking about a one party domination and your way to fix it... put another Republican in power. That will make everything better.

10:26 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home