Take action now to save Darfur

Thursday, May 18, 2006

Not Our Idea of a Family

I had to rub my eyes and read the following just one more time because I thought for sure they had deceived me. What I had read couldn't possibly be true!
BLACK JACK, Mo. (AP) - The city council has rejected a measure allowing unmarried couples with multiple children to live together, and the mayor said those who fall into that category could soon face eviction.

Olivia Shelltrack and Fondrey Loving were denied an occupancy permit after moving into a home in this St. Louis suburb because they have three children and are not married.

The town's planning and zoning commission proposed a change in the law, but the measure was rejected Tuesday by the city council in a 5-3 vote.
The current ordinance prohibits more than three people from living together unless they are related by "blood, marriage or adoption." The defeated measure would have changed the definition of a family to include unmarried couples with two or more children.

Mayor Norman McCourt declined to be interviewed but said in a statement that those who do not meet the town's definition of family could soon face eviction.

What kind of jacked up, ass backwards town is this? So if it is an unmarried couple without children, they're cool, but throw kids into the mix and they're suddenly not zone-worthy? I guess that also rules out having more than one roommate? Sorry kids, you're going to have to figure out some other way to afford the rent. Obviously I don't have to ask about unwed couples with children; the town is perfectly willing to throw them out on the street. It's really more than just a shame that this town has written a law that discriminates, recognizes that it does, continues to vote in favor of it, and refuse to ammend it.

It would seem that this town is breaking federal law. From the US Department of Justice:
The Fair Housing Act prohibits discrimination in housing on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, familial status, or disability by housing providers, such as landlords and real estate companies as well as other entities, such as municipalities, banks or other lending institutions, and homeowners insurance companies.

Ruh-Roh!

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

hi i just made my blog
http://outrage2go.blogspot.com
it is about my anger...
specially to the politician
maybe I could link your blog to mine if it is okay with you..?

8:12 AM  
Blogger Tootsie Farklepants said...

I appreciate your courtesy in asking, but I don't think you need my permission...soooo...go ahead! Knock yourself out!

Thanks!

8:19 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Me and my babies and their daddy can live there, we're all related cuz he's my half-brother!

And if I dump the bro and shack up with my sweet second-cousin-twice- removed, Jolena, well I guess we'll have to get married. Fly that Rainbow Flag Black Jack!!!

8:36 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Word

6:12 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home