Take action now to save Darfur

Monday, July 24, 2006

Can't Get Through

On Friday afternoon, as I was traveling at a snail's pace along the northbound I-5, I spotted a plume of black smoke make its appearance over the top of the hill. I thought to myself, "Ruh-Roh". Brush fire. And not a fire truck in sight. When I found myself side by side with the flames quickly making their way up the mountainside, I reached for my cell phone (which I only use for emergencies while driving, I swear), I dialed 911. Busy. I tried again. Busy. I kept at it. Still busy. I continued until I reached my exit and spotted the fire trucks racing to the scene. Obviously someone had made it through to 911. Then I started thinking, what if I had some other extreme emergency and my call went unanswered? Not even unanswered so much as it was unknown. Never making it to the unanswered part because I never got through. What if one of my children were choking? Or face down in a pool? What if an ax-weilding homocidal maniac was making his way up the stairs to my bedroom where I lay trembling under my bed frantically, and oh-so-quietly trying to get help? What if I'd severed a limb in some kind of freak home improvement project gone horribly awry? Guess what kids? You're on your own. Learn CPR. Learn how to pack body parts on ice and fashion a tourniquet. And for heaven's sake learn how to successfully fend off crazed lunatics because sometimes the only thing between you and saving the life of a loved one or your own butt...is you.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thay have to do something about that. Add more lines or something. I witnessed a good sized accident and it took me several minutes to reach a 911 operator. I wonder how many people die because people can't get through.

8:26 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

All 911 calls made from cell phones go through the CHP. If you are not on the freeway and need help, use a land line to call 911 if you can.

In preparation for the times you cannot reach a land line and need local emergency services, program numbers into your phone for the Santa Clarita Sheriff's station and the local number for the County Fire department.

Do the same for the agencies where you work.

6:32 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home