Take action now to save Darfur

Sunday, July 02, 2006

Driver Beware

You've heard it all before and perhaps even uttered the words, "Get off your F*#&$#& cell phone a$$&*##&"!! It's usually when your driving and it's because the person who just cut you off, swerved into your lane, or is driving 50mph in the fast lane is yapping away on their phone. I understand your frustration; been there, done that, and yelled at it myself. There have been calls and laws written for banning cellphone use while driving and a new study claims that it is just as risky as driving drunk.

My opinion? It doesn't matter what it is that you are doing that distracts you while driving, it's the "you" not paying attention and not the phone (or the burger and fries, or the lighting of the cigarette, or the shuffling of the cd's, locating a radio station, looking at a map, reading the paper, putting on your makeup, the stooping to pick up the pacifier your infant just spit out, or yelling at the kids, and even sex) that is the problem. You're being a reckless driver when you aren't paying attention to the road. When you aren't alert you are essentially a 65mph weapon hurling down the highway.

There are people capable of handling driving and talking at the same time. I imagine they're the same people who can walk and chew gum simultaneously, but that's just my hunch. Of course, it seems that too many people just aren't capable. If you're going to put the kibash on cellphone use, even the hands free kind, then so should eating, smoking, selecting audio preferences, and the like. Good God Almighty! What in the hell are we going to do on that drive to Vegas? Sleep?

Now if we could address the issue of cellphone use by women in the super market check out lane...I swear, if I get stuck behind one more of those gabby chicks I may just snatch some of their items (because Lord knows they aren't paying attention) off the conveyor belt and stick them with my own goods. I can always tell the checker I changed my mind and ask that the items be put back on the shelves. Then when those chatty broads get home they'll find they are sans items and have to return to the store. Inconvenient? You bet!


For drivers, danger on the phone

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Now thats a cause we can ALL agree on!

1:04 PM  
Blogger Tootsie Farklepants said...

Don't get me started. And I was holding back on my rant. Cell phones + checkout line = MAJOR pet peeve for TF.

11:32 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home