Take action now to save Darfur

Sunday, July 23, 2006

Mandatory Trauma and Inconvenience

Los Angeles county has made it mandatory that all dogs have a microchip implanted in them to be able to identify their owner if they happen to get loose. Now why should my dog have to pay for other's carelessness? I'm a responsible pet owner. My dog hates being outside. Period. She's an indoor dog. She wears a collar complete with all pertinent information, just in case. She's never left our house unsupervised in the 11 years we've had her in our care. So unless an earthquake comes along and levels our house, I doubt she'll leave. Even then the earthquake would also have to knock her collar and tag off from around her neck making it impossible to locate us.

Not only does she dislike being outside for any great length of time, she dislikes intensely traveling in the car, particularly somewhere that a needle awaits her. She trembles violently. All 100 pounds of her try to jump into my arms like a lap dog, throwing her paws around my neck as if we're doing the tango together. Needless to say it is a traumatic experience for her that takes hours for her to calm down from. I only force her into the car when a health related issue necessitates it. So why should I have to put my poor old lady through all of that rigamarole just because other people don't properly care for their pets? It seems cruel to foist this upon her and completely unnecessary.

The Castaic shelter is offering the microchipping service free of charge during the grace period, Tuesday through Thursday this week. Let's not forget that it has been over 100 degrees everyday, I have 3 kids and a petrified 100 pound dog to wrangle...inconvenienced? Brother, that ain't the half of it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home