Take action now to save Darfur

Thursday, August 24, 2006

Survivor - Battle of the Races

I admit I haven't watched Survivor in quite a few years. I honestly don't remember which season was the last that I saw, but I think it was the "Drake" v "Morgan" tribes, featuring a burly, pirate-like man named Rupert. I was once an avid Survivor watcher, I even wanted to be a contestant because, dammit, I knew I could do it! It was the leaving my family for such a great deal of time that held me back. That I couldn't survive. Eventually though, I got Survivor burn out. The newest installment of the reality tv game show (and that's all it is, an elaborate game show) will have the contestants divided into teams by race. This seems to be causing quite a stir. I can't imagine why though. First of all, I have to believe that the contestants are consenting to this format. They ARE there of their own free will. If they aren't then they are being held against their will and are battling it out in challenges in exchange for their freedom off the island. Probably not. Most likely they are there because they want to be, and auditioned and were chosen out of thousands to do so. And anyone who's ever watched Survivor knows that at some point the tribes will merge. Anyone who hasn't figured out the format of this show (this loss of spontenaety is the main reason I no longer watch) by now hasn't been paying attention. Some folks have a big problem with the race categorizing theme of this season's show:
For the first portion of the 13th season of "Survivor," which premieres Sept. 14, the contestants competing for the $1 million prize while stranded on the Cook Islands in the South Pacific will be divided into four teams - blacks, Asians, Latinos and whites.

Liu, who is Asian-American, said he was launching a campaign urging CBS to pull the show because it could encourage racial division and promote negative typecasts. He and a coalition of officials, including the council's black, Latino and Asian caucus, planned to rally at City Hall on Friday.

I hadn't realized that a game show would have such an impact as to "encourage racial division and promote negative typecasts" in the real world. Ya know, when I watch The Price is Right, I don't walk into a store expecting an item to cost what a contestant incorrectly bid. Is there racial division in society? Certainly. Was it there before the 13th season of Survivor? Yes. Is it because of the 13th season of Survivor? No. Will it be there long after Survivor is forgotten? Unfortunately, probably.

If the dynamics of a game show consisting of consenting adults offends you, then don't watch it.

NYC Officials Want New 'Survivor' Pulled

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home