Take action now to save Darfur

Sunday, February 18, 2007

That Goes in the Potty

The following is totally non-political, but hey, it's my blog and I'll talk about whatever I feel like. Potty training, toilet learning, whatever you want to call it, has got to be one of the most frustrating aspects of raising a toddler. My daughter knows how to work the DVD player and can point and click her way through games on the computer, but for some reason cannot grasp the concept of getting her tinkle and nuggets into her magical, musical toilet. She'd much rather carry her waste around with her in her diaper like some precious treasure than take the time to make her deposit in the pot.

She was actually successful yesterday. Three times, in fact! We celebrated! We had popsicles! But today was a brand new day, and after 30 minutes on her own pint-sized potty this morning, and not producing any results I decided to give her a ten minute break and she promptly went upstairs and pissed herself. WHY!!!?!??

And whatever happened to the grandmothers of yesteryear who took over this seemingly hopeless duty for the parents, because afterall, they do brag that they had us out of diapers by the time we were a year old, before we could speak, and did it all in just one day! Either their memory is faulty or they're a bunch of big fat liars. To this I say, it is not possible. I'm no ameteur. This is my third bout with the toddler's will against the potty and I'm here to tell you that you cannot break a mustang in just one day. Fooey.

Potty training a toddler sucks hard. It is the one parental duty that I'd gladly pay huge amounts of cash for someone to do it for me. Please excuse me while I pull the rest of my hair out.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Could your impatience with the last of the 3, be just that? You want PT to be over and done with?

What if you just divested yourself of the emotionality of the whole thing? What if you let your toddler do it on her shcedule?

1:07 PM  
Blogger Tootsie Farklepants said...

You're probably right about the patience thingy. But we've had much success this week! She's only tinkling in her potty now...still working on #2. :)

1:17 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home