Take action now to save Darfur

Thursday, March 08, 2007

Vaginas Unite

Three girls in New York were suspended from their high school for using the word "vagina" during an open mic night when they read an excerpt from...wait for it... The Vagina Monologues. The principal of the school claims that the girls agreed to omit the apparently offensive word from their reading and went ahead and used it anyway. If the principal was so concerned about the content of their material don't you think he should have asked them to choose an alternate reading altogether? Even if they were to omit the word, wouldn't they still have to credit the original source: "My Short Skirt: The Vagina Monologues"? It isn't their work; it's Eve Ensler's. Wouldn't the dreaded "V" word be uttered regardless?

When did the word "vagina" become so taboo? More than half the human population comes equipped with one. You either have one or you don't. We all came out of one. We were all created with one, one way or another. It's as common a thing as an arm or a leg. The human mouth has more germs in it than your average vagina. It's a body part and it's the technical term for it. Your doctor doesn't refer to it as your "business", your "po-po", or your "Va-jay-jay" does (s)he? I hope not.

I love my vagina. I love the word and try to work it into a conversation whenever possible. It's entertaining to see how such a common word can still take people off guard.


Girls Suspension Postponed

4 Comments:

Blogger Just Wondering said...

Hello Tootsie. Long time no see. That one had me laughing out loud. Sign me up for the Vagina club's newsletter. But you've got me thinking ... if my doctor referred to it as my "front fanny," I should get a new doctor?

7:56 AM  
Blogger Tootsie Farklepants said...

Hey there JW!!

LOL! Well, probably. But you should keep the doctor as a friend because that's fucking hilarious! You can never have too many funny friends.

9:09 AM  
Blogger Just Wondering said...

Yeah. "Front funny" always cracks me up too. Can we still say "cracks?" >groan<

10:08 AM  
Blogger Tootsie Farklepants said...

You can but I don't recommend it!

;-)

11:46 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home