Take action now to save Darfur

Thursday, October 18, 2007

You Don't Want to Know Where I Was Keeping That Plane Ticket

Sweet molasses on a cracker! I swear to freakin' God that it will not be too far off in the future that if you wish to travel by plane, you will have to do it naked as a jay-fuckin'-bird! Sans shoes, no carry-on luggage whatsoever, body cavity searches all around and infants will have to ride in the baggage compartment. It was reported in the news today that security at 3 of the nation's airports (LAX amongst them) failed miserably at detecting bomb making materials. Please stand by for security to kick it up a notch. This just HAD to come out right before the holiday season, didn't it.

And doesn't this tid-bit just scream bullshit to you?
Terrorists bringing a homemade bomb on an airplane, or bringing on bomb parts and assembling them in the cabin, is the top threat against aviation. "Their focus is on using items easily available off grocery and hardware store shelves," Hawley said.

Really? That is the top threat against aviation? Funny how a moderate Google search turns up quite a different statistic. It would seem that human error, pilot error, design flaw, fuel starvation, and yes, BIRDS are a greater threat to aviation than terrorists and their bomb making materials. And didn't the security for air travel reach hysterical levels AFTER September 11th? It would appear, at least to me, that people hijacking a plane and flying it into a building with their own two hands would be a greater threat. Will we have to start leaving our hands at home?

There are horrid people in the world and they're going to do despicable things, it cannot be obliterated. You just have to live life and be aware. I expect the airline that I'm paying for service from to provide a safe plane and a capable crew...and not send my luggage to an alternate destination. I don't expect to be kept safe from another person's actions totally unrelated to the airline. I feel more threatened by the woman driving beside me who is chatting on her cell phone while she simultaneously applies her lipstick and mascara, drinking her latte at mock 5 on the freeway. If I choose to pay for and use public transportation then I am taking the risk that I just may be flying along side someone who is not playing with a full deck.

Please don't make it so that we all have to fly in the nude. It is way too cold on that plane.

USA TODAY

1 Comments:

Blogger 1blueshi1 said...

hehe--the last time I flew was when I was about...eighteen (right after the Wright brothers invented flight, pretty much), but I love the image of a plane full of nude, handless passengers!

9:04 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home